Bridge Energy has published the results of its 2019 Utility Industry survey.
The survey “An Industry in Transformation-The Technology’ focuses on the impacts of technology on the utility industry and how digitisation will shape the future of utility operations in North America.
The survey, now in its 8th year, reveals that:
- 63% of responders acknowledged that advanced distribution management system initiatives are in progress.
- 94% agree that integration of systems and information is critical for the grid’s future operations.
- 93% expect the availability of tools to analyse and process data within their company, to increase in the coming year.
- 75% have load modeling and forecasting as their leading technology projects planned.
- 70% experienced acceleration in the pace of technology changes over the past 2 years.
- 97% expect their grid modernisation projects to increase the amount of data collected in the coming year, while 43% say it will increase significantly.
- 50% are now or will consider outsourcing OT operations and support in the future.
The survey focused on grid modernisation technologies including grid analytics, automation, modeling, and forecasting services.
Hugo van Nispen, CEO of BRIDGE Energy Group, said: “We continue to see cautious interest in all forms of outsourcing, including cloud-based solutions and managed services, as utilities look for ways to improve operations, expand capabilities, and reduce costs.”
See full survey results here.