US utility Xcel Energy has been recognised for its climate action by the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions, The Climate Registry and America’s Pledge.
Xcel Energy has won the 2020 Climate Leadership and the Organizational Leadership Awards for carbon emissions reduction efforts and its support for communities and customers in achieving their clean energy and climate goals.
Measures adopted by Xcel Energy to address climate change include:
- Making the nation’s largest multi-state wind investment that will increase its wind capacity by 70% by 2022 under its Steel for Fuel strategy.
- Adopting a transformative clean energy plan that will retire half the coal capacity between 2006 and 2027, as well as deliver 100% carbon-free energy by 2050.
- Offering more than 150 energy efficiency programmes to maximise consumer energy conservation
- Investing massively in electric vehicle charging systems and integrate EVs into municipal fleet operations.
- The utility reduced carbon emissions by 10% in 2019 over 2018 levels.
Ben Fowke, CEO of Excel Energy, said: “We are honored to receive this award for our commitment to addressing the risk of climate change through innovative policies and programmes.
“It’s an exciting time in the energy industry, and we are proving that by working together, we can achieve great things both for our customers and the environment.”
In 2016, Xcel Energy was honored with a Climate Leadership Award for Greenhouse Gas Management.