In the UK, the Smart Islands has selected smart grid firm OATI to implement its smart energy programme in the Isles of Scilly.
The Smart Islands is a programme using funding from the European Regional Development Funds of the European Region to:
- Reduce consumer energy bills by 20% by 2020 (40% by 2025)
- Meet 40% of energy demand on the isles through renewable generation by 2025
- Have 40% of all vehicles electric by 2025
- Provide internships, cultural exchange and STEM* skill delivery for young people
- Full programme of energy efficiency measures delivered by 2020.
The smart grid solutions firm will provide its Evolution, an electric vehicle charging network, to ensure secure and real time data communications between operators and some 26 public EV charging stations.
The network will also be used to manage energy distribution system operations.
OATI will provide its Internet of Things SCADA system, and integrate the SCADA with OATI’s Evolution and new IoT platform Gryphin for big data analytics.
This will enable the island to forecast issues such as renewable energy generation, energy demand and EV charging demand.
Dr. Sasan Mokhtari, CEO of OATI, said: “We are proud to help the Isles of Scilly in their transition to a low-carbon, sustainable, and resilient community.
“OATI supports the development of such relationships and will continue to work with others to provide innovative software technology solutions across the globe.”