Renewables and natural gas will be the primary sources of new energy generation from 2050, according to an annual energy outlook released by the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).
The 2019 report states that:
- Renewables will surpass nuclear by 2020 and coal by 2025
- However, renewables will remain behind natural gas in terms of energy produced
- Natural gas energy generation will increase from 34% in 2018 to 39% in 2050
- Driven by growth in wind and solar generation, the renewable energy industry will increase from 18% in 2018 to 31% in 2050
- US net exports of natural gas will continue to grow
- Increasing energy efficiency will help stabilise energy consumption and grid reliability
The EIA, an independent arm of the US Department of Energy, produces the report to gauge the future of energy production, demand, prices and emissions through 2050.
The report is available for download here