ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab has launched a particularly innovative fast EV charging point at the Prague Exhibition Centre powered by Chakratec’s kinetic energy storage system.
The deployment of the charging point is the first of its kind in East Europe and in the Czech Republic. The inventor, Israeli start-up Chakratec, was discovered and brought on board by ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab Israel Ltd.
Recently at the Smart Mobility Summit in Tel Aviv at the end of October, ŠKODA AUTO announced new partnerships with innovative mobility start-ups. Chakratec, the inventor of the Kinetic Power Booster, is one of these companies.
Chakratec’s multi-patented energy storage technology stores the electricity as kinetic energy in a fast-rotating flywheel. This presents two major advantages:
- Outstanding economics due to the technology’s unlimited high-power charge and discharge cycles (more than 200,000) without degradation over the full system lifetime of 20 years
- The non-chemical flywheel is sustainable and reusable, as opposed to toxic, polluting and short life chemical batteries
Utilizing Chakratec’s proprietary Kinetic Power Booster technology enables the deployment of fast-charging stations anywhere, including locations with a weak power grid.
The Kinetic Power Booster is charged slowly from the grid while there is no EV wanting to be charged, by accelerating its flywheels to high speeds and storing the electricity as kinetic energy.
When an EV connects to the charging point, the kinetic power booster releases its energy as electricity to the high power charger in an instant and by that boosts the available grid power.
This enables fast and ultra-fast EV charging anywhere, even when the local grid is weak, for example in car dealerships or shopping centres.
Andre Wehner, Chief Digital Officer at ŠKODA AUTO, said, “The collaboration with Chakratec shows how innovative ideas can be turned into concrete projects by being scouted and specifically supported by our ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab in Tel Aviv. With our decision to set up the world’s third Kinetic Power Booster in Prague, we are demonstrating that we are consistently working on a comprehensive range of services for our customers in terms of E-Mobility and integrated mobility services.”
Vojtěch Fried, Electromobility Manager at PRE added, “The technology developed by Chakratec, which provides the necessary electricity for battery-powered vehicles to be charged quickly, marks another step towards the future of individual mobility. As the operator of the largest charging network in Prague, we feel it is important for us to be involved as a strong partner in the roll-out of the Kinetic Power Booster right from the start.”
Ilan-Ben David, CEO of Chakratec, stated, “Our collaboration with ŠKODA AUTO and PRE marks an important milestone for us. We’ve taken up the challenge and are ready to boost the E-Mobility transition together with our partners.”
To allow users of an electric car to get to know the technology, they can currently recharge their cars for free in Letňany. Prices and payment methods for regular operation will be announced by the operator at a later date. Depending on the results of the pilot, the partners are planning to set up further Chakratec fast-charging stations both in the Czech Republic as well as other countries.
- Chakratec‘s unique kinetic energy storage technology enables to deploy Fast and ultra-fast EV charging station in locations with limited grid power with no need to use chemical battery storage systems or costly and tedious infrastructure upgrade.
- Chakratec’s Kinetic Power Booster based on its kinetic energy storage technology provides an unlimited number of high power charging cycles.
- Start-Up Chakratec was scouted by ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab Israel Ltd and is now being applied and rolled out by ŠKODA AUTO in the Czech Republic and Eastern Europe.