Entergy Corp. crews are closely monitoring conditions as a line of severe weather causes power outages across southeast Louisiana.
Utility personnel were working into Wednesday evening and beyond to restore power to customers impacted by winds, lightning and flooding. In addition, company officials and crews continue to monitor the disturbance located off the coast of Florida as it moves toward the central Gulf of Mexico.
Though the storm is currently poorly organized, Entergy said, the utility is prepared for the possibility that this weather system could bring severe thunderstorms, strong winds, heavy rains, higher tides and coastal flooding to the state.
While the system’s strength upon landfall and exact path remains uncertain, Entergy Louisiana and Entergy New Orleans are preparing for the storm’s impact and the potential for power outages.
The companies’ distribution and transmission crews and contractors are on alert and ready to safely restore power to customers as quickly as possible.
“We are urging our customers to monitor the storm’s path, follow the direction of local authorities and be ready to implement their own storm plans if needed,” said Melonie Stewart, Entergy’s vice president of distribution operations for Louisiana. “If you need help, the Entergy Storm Center (at entergystormcenter.com) has preparation tips and safety information that can assist in planning and making necessary decisions.”
Entergy keeps customers informed about restoring power in several ways:
- A free app is available for iPhone or Android at entergyapp.com. Customers can use the app to report outages or check on the status of power at their homes or businesses.
- Entergy’s View Outages website includes maps that show where outages are located and give information about restoration progress.
- Customers can send and receive text messages about storm and restoration efforts. Signing up is easy: simply text REG to 368374.
- The Entergy Storm Center website has storm safety, preparation, restoration and other information that is regularly updated.
- Operation: Storm Ready is a free downloadable guide that helps customers plan and prepare for weather emergencies.
Entergy Louisiana, LLC provides electric service to more than 1 million customers and natural gas service to more than 93,000 customers in the greater Baton Rouge area. It has operations in southern, central and northeastern Louisiana.
Entergy New Orleans, LLC is an electric and gas utility that serves Louisiana’s Orleans Parish. The company provides electricity to more than 200,000 customers and natural gas to more than 106,000 customers. Both companies are subsidiaries of Entergy Corporation.
Entergy Corp. is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 MW of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 MW of nuclear power.
Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $11 billion and more than 13,000 employees.
This story originally appeared on our sister-site, Power Engineering.