According to a study conducted by Uptime Institute, global data center outages have increased by 6% since 2017.
- Power failures have been the primary cause of the outages and the cost per outage has risen by 50% from 2010 to 2016
- The cost of unplanned outages has risen to of $8,851 per minute
- 33% of the survey participants experienced outages due to power failures
- Respondents who experienced IT downtime increased from 25% in 2017 to 31% in 2018
- The average duration of an outage ranged between 95 and 97 minutes
- The US recorded 3,526 outages which impacted 36.7 million people in 2017
The study also finds that:
• Data center power efficiency has improved
• 50% of the respondents experienced at least one outage over the past three years
“Power outages are an inconvenience for consumers, but they can be catastrophic in the mission-critical sector, wreaking havoc on the likes of data centers, hospitals and transportation systems,” said Dale Hobbie, CEO of Silent Partner Group of Companies.