Spanish buildings to save 13.1GWh per annum with EIB aid

0
views

Up to 13.1GWh in energy savings per annum are anticipated in Spain from a €2.48 million ($3 million) investment tranche announced by the European Commission and the European Investment Bank (EIB).

The funding will be allocated through the European Local Energy Assistance programme for Spanish government agency Nasuvinsa (Navarra de Suelo y Vivienda, S.A.), to implement the Primavera energy efficiency and renewable energy project.

The project will target existing residential buildings and will see Nasuvinsa utilise the funding to provide technical assistance activities (communication plan, technical studies, energy audits, feasibility studies) to shortlisted projects. The funding is expected to benefit some 1,900 households with 90% of the funds set to benefit private-owned units whilst the remaining 10% will be directed for energy efficiency renovations in social housing buildings.

The aim of the funding is to reduce heating-related energy usage by 70% and to deploy 0.32GWh of renewable energy capacity. The project is also expected to result in the offset of up to 2 786 tonnes of carbon emissions per annum.

Have you read?
EIB survey reveals the ‘most effective measure to fight climate change’
EIB unveils new energy efficiency credit line for Spain and Portugal
Britain’s energy consumers – the climate disconnect and challenge

The project is expected to mobilise up to €40 million ($48.5 million) and generate up to 189 new jobs through to April 2024.

Projects to benefit from the funding will include installation of energy-efficient insulation and improvement of the building envelope (walls, roofs, and floors), replacement of windows, and improvement of glazing, heating, cooling, ventilation, hot water equipment, and interior lighting.

Renewable energy solutions to be deployed will include solar photovoltaic panels, biomass boilers as well as electric vehicle charging stations.

The funding falls under efforts by the EIB to mitigate climate change in the bloc.

The vice-president of the Government of Navarre, José María Aierdi, highlighted “the decisive intervention of the public authorities in the great European challenge of recovering our cities,” and stressed that, in this area, “energy renovation is now the best way for residential buildings to make a decisive contribution to the green transition, but also to substantially improve energy savings and the quality of life of local people in their homes and their urban environments.”

European Commissioner for Energy Kadri Simson said: “I am pleased with yet another successful ELENA project, this time in Navarre. With the help of the EIB, residents will see a significant improvement of their energy efficiency and have access to greater volumes of renewable energy. This will contribute to the efforts across the EU to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 55% by 2030, and to ultimately become climate-neutral by 2050.”