The 10th annual Growth, Innovation and Leadership (GIL) African Best Practices Awards hosted by Frost & Sullivan, in partnership with the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) and Arkadin, were held on 13 September 2018, at the Table Bay in Cape Town.
The event kicked off with Frost & Sullivan’s Hendrik Malan, partner and operations director for Africa, presenting the 2018-2019 Global Mega Trends at the CEO Think Tank, followed by a presentation on innovation and supporting start-ups by Sholto Dolamo, Head of Research for the Public Investment Corporation (PIC).
Awards keynote speaker Tonya Fowler, Frost & Sullivan global research director, discussed the rigorous process based on completed consulting and research that research analysts go through when nominating companies for Frost & Sullivan Best Practices Awards.
Several companies were recognised with Frost & Sullivan Best Practices Awards for their contribution to the growth of Africa. Award categories included Energy & Environment, Transformational Health, Digital Transformation and Mobility.
The 2017 and 2018 Frost & Sullivan Best Practices Awards recipients are:
• 2017 Southern African Dry Sanitation – Company of the Year Award – Enviro Loo
• 2017 East African Renewable Energy Development and Distribution – Competitive Strategy Innovation and Leadership Award – Rift Valley Energy Tanzania
• 2017 South African Enterprise Software for Retail – Customer Value Leadership Award – redPanda Software
• 2018 Sub-Saharan African Smart Water Management Solutions – Competitive Strategy Innovation and Leadership Award – Utility Systems
• 2018 Nigerian Pharmaceutical Production and Distribution – Competitive Strategy Innovation and Leadership Award – Fidson Healthcare
• 2018 African Health Product and Technology Distributor – Visionary Innovation Leadership Award – Kiara Health
• 2018 Sub-Saharan African Communications Services – Enabling Technology Leadership Award – Afrique Telecom
• 2018 Middle Eastern & African Smart Cards – Customer Value Leadership Award – Gemalto
• 2018 Sub-Saharan African Tower Infrastructure – Enabling Technology Leadership Award – NuRAN Wireless
• 2018 South African LPWAN Enabling Technology Leadership Award – SqwidNet
• 2018 African IoT – Technology Innovation Award – Vodacom
• 2018 South African Taxi Hailing – New Product Innovation Award – Afta Robot
• 2018 South African On-demand Logistics – New Product Innovation Award – EmptyTrips