Florida’s largest natural gas distribution utility TECO Peoples Gas is continuing to track Hurricane Dorian in a bid to prepare for any devastation caused by the impending arrival of the tropical storm.
The current forecast predicts Hurricane Dorian would make landfall on Florida’s east coast early Monday and travel west across the state.
TECO Peoples Gas is urging its customers to:
- Follow local evacuation orders. Review the evacuation route information on the Florida Division of Emergency Management Web site (www.FloridaDisaster.org). Roads may be closed to facilitate better traffic flow.
- Leave their natural gas service on, even in the event of an evacuation. Leave their natural gas meters on to maintain proper pressure in the gas piping as well as to prevent water from entering the lines should flooding occur
- Turn off gas to individual appliances at the supply valve near each unit
- Have a functioning battery-powered radio to monitor emergency information.
- Make plans for pets as they are extremely vulnerable and are not allowed at most shelters.
TJ Szelistowski, president of TECO Peoples Gas, said: “The Peoples Gas team prepares year ‘round for hurricane season, and we stand ready for Hurricane Dorian.
“While we are preparing to handle any gas-related emergencies, we encourage our customers to have a personal storm plan in place.”
If at any time residents smell a rotten egg or sulfur-like odor, there could be a natural gas leak. Residents should leave the premises immediately and then call the Peoples Gas 24-hour Emergency Gas Leak number.
For more information, visit peoplesgas.com/stormsafety.