The Smart Energy Consumer Collaborative (SECC) has issued the results of a survey conducted to understand consumer perspectives around distributed energy resources (DERs).
According to the study Distributed Energy Resources: Meeting Consumer Needs”
- 69% of consumers want their electricity providers as DER providers. 22% want to select a private contractor.
- However, those who prefer a private contractor generally still want their electricity providers to offer a vetted list of preferred contractors or ratings/reviews of contractors.
- Consumers’ top concerns and expected benefits from DERs are primarily financial in nature. 73% expect saving money as a top benefit and 49% expect incentives up-front to participate.
- 67% of consumers want to know upfront exactly how much money DERs will save them.
- 44% cite helping the environment is an important benefit of DERs, yet consistently secondary to bill savings.
- Consumers are interested in DERs but need information from their electricity providers and assistance in overcoming financial barriers.
The survey comprises 1,500 Americans and 543 Canadians and explores what they know about rooftop solar, home battery storage, microgrids, demand response, community solar and other clean energy technologies.
For more information about the report click here