The Battery Council International has released ten achievements recorded by the lead batteries sector in the energy transition and in the provision of power to industries.
The global lead battery sector is expected to grow by 110% over the next decade from $80 billion in 2020 to $115 billion.
The top 10 lead battery facts to celebrate include:
- Lead batteries provide more than 70% of the world’s rechargeable power.
- In 2020, lead batteries are projected to account for nearly 90% of the backup power needed to keep our highly connected and mobile lives running smoothly.
- Lead batteries are the best example of a circular economy, according to the World Economic Forum and the MIT Center of Transportation.
- In the US, an amazing 99% of all lead batteries are recycled (most recycled consumer product), which keeps more than 130 million lead batteries from landfills each year.
- US lead battery manufacturers source approximately 70% of the needed lead from domestic recycling facilities and a new lead battery is typically comprised of more than 80% recycled material.
- Lead batteries power more than 275 million US vehicles, including hybrids and EVs.
- Start-stop technology using lead batteries is eliminating 4.5 million tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually in the US.
- The lifespan of a lead battery has increased by nearly 30% over the last 20 years.
- Lead batteries contribute $26.3 billion to the US economy each year.
- Lead battery manufacturers and recyclers provide nearly 25,000 direct jobs and support over 92,000 total jobs in the US.