Welsh Water reduces carbon emissions by 79%

458

UK utility Welsh Water has announced that it has lowered its carbon emissions by 79% in less than a decade, thanks to its commitment to sustainable energy use

The utility says the significant drop in emissions since the 2010/2011 year is due to all power purchased being sourced from sustainable energy suppliers, and investments in renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.

The water company also intends generating approximately 25% of its energy through wind, solar, and hydro turbines, as well as gas-to-grid within the next year, sourcing the remaining 75% of its energy needs from green electricity sources.

The company’s Five Fords Energy Park project has confirmed a £36 million investment to transition the facility to green energy site. The facility currently processes sewerage of approximately 180,000 customers in Wales, and generates 2.5GWh of power via its 10,000 solar panels on site – enough to power 700 homes.

Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford said: “I was very pleased to have the opportunity to visit Five Fords Energy Park and to see the result of the developments which have taken place here making it a pioneer of green energy.

“Investment in sustainable water infrastructure supports the safety of communities, which lies at the heart of our Well-being of Future Generations Act. I’d also like to congratulate Welsh Water on cutting its carbon emissions by nearly 80% in the last decade. This is a great achievement.”

Welsh Water Chief Executive Chris Jones added: “In Welsh Water 2050 – our long term vision for the company – we outlined our plans to tackle some of the biggest challenges we face and climate change is one of the most serious. As part of this, we are striving to reduce our own impact on the climate, while also strengthening the resilience of our networks to deal with the increasing threat of adverse weather – like extreme cold snaps, flooding and prolonged drought conditions – that can impact our network and the services we provide our customers.

“We have worked closely with Welsh Government to set out how we will build on this encouraging progress and we’re delighted the First Minister was able to see the fruits of that co-operation first-hand.”