Streamlining operations to power growth
The Generg Group has been building and operating renewable power plants in Portugal for over three decades.
The group has a portfolio of 487MW in operation in Portugal, including 436MW of wind power, 33MW of hydroelectric power and 18MW of solar power. They also control the performance of other Portuguese wind assets, bringing their global installed capacity up to 750MW. Generg’s diverse and growing portfolio consists of various renewable technologies, using equipment from a range of manufacturers.
Ambitious expansion plans are on the cards, with Generg looking to acquire renewable energy plants in countries across Europe. They also hope to integrate these with other assets of Novenergia Group (currently the only shareholder) on a single control platform.
Applying innovation to streamline and boost operations
CGI provided Generg with a solution based on our Renewables Management System (RMS), called the Energy Management System. This solution comprises three modules:
- Data gateway: Scada module to interface with all the renewable power plants across Generg’s portfolio, and normalize data from all the various makes and models of equipment.
- Control Center: Centralizes and handles the real-time monitoring, supervision and remote control of Generg’s renewable assets and substations. It supports real-time alarm and event management, and includes mobile platform capabilities.
- Performance management: Handles the operational performance management of all the renewable assets. It is built on a database which supports a high volume of operational data, alongside a range of analysis and reporting tools – such as production analysis, availability management and efficiency improvement – that can be accessed via web and mobile interfaces.
A success story: Innovative and measurable results
CGI’s solution for Generg has helped the company to improve operational excellence and accrue a number of benefits, including:
- Centralized control of energy production, improved performance, and quicker control and diagnosis of stoppages, enabling the reduction of downtimes
- Automation of time consuming tasks enabling resource optimization
- Adaptation to varied regulatory regimes, and consequent alignment with different requirements for grid connections
- Creation of a unique source of operational data and indicators that enables data transparency by various internal and external stakeholders
- Powerful data-driven, insight-led decision making
- Continuous improvement, benchmarking and analysis of renewable energy production