Meter manufacturing plant established in Zambia


Zambian energy
Kenneth Konga
Ndola, Zambia and Cairo, Egypt — (METERING.COM) — July 9, 2008 – Cairo-based El Sewedy Electrical Supplies and Zambian electric utility Zesco have joined forces to build a meter manufacturing plant in Zambia, which will produce both the meters themselves and the smart cards used to transfer credit.

The plant forms part of an infrastructure development program for the country, which includes the construction of a transformer manufacturing plant. Both plants will be privately owned; in the case of the meter manufacturing plant, to be called the Zambia Electrometer Company, El Sewedy will own 60 per cent of the shares, with Zesco owning the other 40 per cent.

The plant will produce 9,000 meters a year to start with, which will be certified by companies based in Europe. It will supply both the local utility and export to neighboring countries in central and southern Africa. El Sewedy will supply skills training, and most of the management positions will be filled by El Sewedy personnel until skills and technology transfer has taken place, whereupon the plant will be run by Zambians themselves.

Rasha Awad has been appointed managing director of the Zambia Electrometer Company.