A Local Control Unit (LCU) to support local SCADA processes associated with the integration of smart grid components and devices and smart meters has been developed by ModemTec and Hewlett-Packard.
Features of the LCU include:
- Power quality meter of the highest accuracy, measuring higher harmonics (at least 50th), deformed power, flickers, etc. – this fulfills legal requirements for distributed system operation, and enables monitoring of connected devices
- Remote terminal unit (RTU) for communication with IEDs (intelligent electronic devices) at the substation
- Independent powerline communication interface for multi standard support
- Wireless and GSM module for direct communication via the telco operator or local internet provider
- RS236 and RS485 interface
- Local SCADA support pack for smart grid MV/LV functionalities, including autonomous features to drive, synchronize, coordinate and operate MV/LV devices, including substation switches, load tap controllers, network switches and protectors, decentralized generation, energy storage and smart meters
- An empty programmable space for DSO deployment needs.