A consortium of European utilities selected smart grid solutions providers Sagemcom and Landis+Gyr for the provision of smart meters.According to an Austrian publication, the country’s power utility Energie Steiermark partnered with 30 European power distribution companies to place a EUR 250 million ($275.8 million) order for supply of the smart meters from the two solutions providers.
The supply of the smart meters will cost EUR 70 million ($77.2 million) whilst EUR 180 million ($198.5 million) will cover installation of the smart meters and communication infrastructure.
French firm Sagemcom secured 60% of the contract, while Swiss headquartered Landis+Gyr has been awarded the remaining 40% share.
The contract is expected to last for three years. [Sagemcom’s G3-PLC meters receive alliance certification].
Smart meters installation in Austria
Taking advantage of its partnership with the other European utilities, Energie Steiermark plans to equip 90% of its customers in the Austrian state of Styria with the new smart meters.
The Austrian utility plans to begin its installation of the smart meters in the last quarter of 2017.
[quote] In mid-April, global smart metering provider Iskraemeco also secured two contracts for supply of its Automated Metering Infrastructure (AMI) solution in Austria.
In a press statement, the Slovenia based AMI provider said it will supply power utilities Karnten Netz GmbH (KNG) and Stadtwerke Kapfenberg GmbH, with a collective 95,000 electric meters over the next two years.
Iskraemeco will be assisted by partner company Siemens AG Osterreich, in the smart meter deployment.
The company’s AM550 smart electricity meters will be enabled by G3-PLC communication technology, with smart meter deliveries set to begin at the end of 2016. [Austria’s Salzburg Netz signs Ericsson to supply smart meter IT].
Commenting on the AMI project, Gerald Obernosterer, smart metering project manager at KNG-Kärnten Netz GmbH, said: “The implementation of a smart metering system will significantly improve the level of energy efficiency in our system. It will enable the development of distributed generation that will play a major role in the future energy market.”