Norfolk, VA, U.S.A. — (METERING.COM) — September 12, 2013 – In its continuing support for the development of electric infrastructure by rural utilities, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has awarded loan guarantees totaling more than $11 million for smart grid projects.
The recipients of this funding are:
- Bluestem Electric Cooperative, Inc. (KS) – $312,000
- Central Virginia Electric Cooperative (VA) – $1,157,330
- Lane-Scott Electric Cooperative, Inc. (KS) – $3 million
- Lea County Electric Cooperative, Inc. (NM, TX) – $75,000
- Midland Power Cooperative (IA) – $520,000
- South Central Power Company (OH) – $6,370,485.
“These investments will continue to ensure safe, reliable and affordable service for rural residents, farmers, and commercial and industrial consumers,” said Rural Utilities Service administrator John Padalino.
With this funding the USDA has invested more than $526 million in smart grid technologies nationwide since 2011.