Washington, DC, U.S.A. — (METERING.COM) — September 27, 2007 – The UtiliSite Council, a subsidiary of the Utilities Telecom Council, is a new organization dedicated to sharing best practices and combined marketing efforts for utilities that provide these services to commercial wireless carriers. The Utilities Telecom Council (UTC) is a global trade association dedicated to creating a favorable business, regulatory, and technological environment for entities that own, manage, or provide critical telecommunications systems in support of their core services.
Utilities, using their robust network of facilities and fiber infrastructure, are in a good position to supply reliable support for commercial wireless carriers in the areas of antenna siting, backhaul and construction. Through the UtiliSite Council, member utilities will work together to help commercial carriers accelerate the deployment of wireless services in communities all across the country.
Members of the UtiliSite Council have over 36,000 antenna sites developed on electric transmission and distribution facilities available to use. The UtiliSite Council members include:
- Duke Energy Corporation, serving North Carolina and South Carolina
- FirstEnergy Corp, serving New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania
- Gainesville Regional Utilities, serving Florida
- JEA, serving Florida
- Memphis Light, Gas & Water Division, serving Tennessee
- Portland General Electric Company, serving: Oregon
- Southern Telecom Inc., serving Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Mississippi
- SRP Telecom, serving Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area.
- Tennessee Valley Authority, serving: Tennessee.
“This organization represents a niche in our marketplace that has a lot of potential to grow,” noted UtiliSite Council Chairman Allen Garrison, who is also Wireless Manager at SRP Telecom in Phoenix. “Already a significant source of antenna sites in North America, we expect utility co-location and the UtiliSite Council to grow significantly in 2008.”
The UtiliSite Council will make its debut at the Wireless Infrastructure Show, PCIA’s Annual Conference.