San Ramon, CA, U.S.A. --- (METERING.COM) --- December 17, 2009 - ZigBee Remote Control, a new global standard for advanced remote controls, has been released by the ZigBee Alliance.
ZigBee Remote Control is the first public application profile designed specifically for use with the ZigBee RF4CE specification announced earlier this year.
ZigBee Remote Control frees consumers from pointing remotes at devices, offers flexible control from nearby rooms, enables unique two-way communications between the remote and device, plus delivers improved remote battery life for a variety of consumer electronic devices like HDTV, home theater equipment, set-top boxes and other audio equipment.
ZigBee Remote Control replaces 30 year-old infrared technology with radio frequency (RF) control and eliminates the pointing confusion and other performance problems associated with infrared remotes and large screen LCD and plasma televisions. It also delivers new functionality to conventional remotes, including:
- Ability to locate misplaced remote controls
- Common command set for true interoperability eliminating the need for multiple remote controls
- Control of equipment stored almost anywhere, including behind wood and glass doors or in other rooms
- Enhanced user interfaces and advanced display capabilities
- New interactive capabilities and the ability to navigate content on the remote’s LCD
- Over-the-air upgrades and programmability.
“ZigBee Remote Control offers electronics manufacturers a global standard to simplify control of a wide variety of consumer electronic devices and improve their customer experience,” said Bob Heile, chairman of the ZigBee Alliance. “Consumers will enjoy new conveniences that give them more flexibility in the way they use their electronic devices for years to come.”
The ZigBee Remote Control profile gives consumer electronics manufacturers a defined standard to create interoperable products offering advanced communications between devices and remote controls, regardless of manufacturer. The profile is currently available to all ZigBee Alliance members.