- ENEL in Italy announces a project to deploy 27 million AMR meters.
- Meralco, in the Philippines, integrates billing, call centre and CIS functions for
3.9 million households.
- Ruhrgas Industries of Germany buys ABB’s worldwide metering interests – Elster Electricity, Elster Metering, American Meter Company and AMCO Water.
- Siemens withdraws from the metering business by divesting the renamed Landis+Gyr Group to American financial investor Kohlberg Kravis Roberts.
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) and IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) sign a co-operative agreement to establish global technical
- Chinese exports of electricity meters jump from 3.3M in 2001 to 10.9M.
- PPL Electric Utilities implements the largest two-way powerline AMR system for its 1.3 M electric customers.