Xcel Energy announces its Utility Innovations initiative with partnership members IBM, Indus, Itron, SPL WorldGroup and Mercury.
- Elster Metering Group is formed when the Ruhrgas Industries Group is acquired by CVC Capital Partners, a private equity firm based in the UK.
- The US Energy Policy Act 2005 is signed into law, setting out requirements for time-of-use and demand response initiatives that will lead to an increased deployment of smart meters.
- The ZigBee Alliance™ confirms that over 6,000 OEMs, vendors, service providers, designers and educators have registered to download the ZigBee specification, in under two months.
- An Ofgem report indicates there are 3.8 million electricity and 2.1 million gas prepayment meters installed in the UK.
- The Kyoto Protocol is adopted by most major countries; the US and Australia decide not to sign.
- The governments of Thailand and Sri Lanka embark on power sector reforms.
- TDK Semiconductor Corp., provider of mixed-signal integrated circuits, changes its name to Teridian Semiconductor Corp. The company was bought earlier this year from TDK-USA by Golden Gate Capital and members of the management team.
- CRM applications provider Oracle Corporation announces that it will buy Siebel Systems, Inc.